Last Sunday's International Prog Rock Show (featuring MtlRick and I) was pretty laid back, compared with last week's show, in which we had three members of Hamadryad live in the studio.
First, we mourned the loss of two musicians:
Eric Woolfson, of Alan Parsons Project fame, died of cancer on December 2, 2009, at the age of 64. He was the main songwriter, and sung all the guide vocals on every APP album up to Gaudi. He is best known for having sung on such hits as "Time", "Nothing Left to Lose", "Eye in the Sky", "Silence and I", and "Don't Answer Me". After leaving APP he wrote musicals, some of which were based, and used songs from, material written for the Project.
Pim Koopman, though less well known than Woolfson, left his mark on the music scene as the drummer and co-founder of Dutch progressive rock band Kayak. He died at the young age of 56 on November 23, 2009. Although he left the band in 1976, he returned to the fold in 1999, and had been with them every since. He co-wrote many songs, and sang lead vocals on some of the early material. His passing brought an end to Kayak's last tour supporting their new double album. The future of the band is now on hold, unfortunately, and I personaly hope that Ton Sherpenzeel and his band mates do continue to write and play their wonderful music.
We also announced the winners of the Hamadryad DVDs and T-shirts: Louis Cossette, of Montreal, Canada, and Kaz Paul, of New Jersey, USA.
Now, on with last Sunday's set list:
1. To One in Paradise, by The Alan Parsons Project (Tales of Mystery and Imagination, 1975)
2. Close to the Fire, by Kayak (Close to the Fire, 2000)
3. The Weirding, by Astra (The Weirding, 2009)
4. The Hazards of Love, Part 1/A Bower Scene, by The Decemberists (The Hazards of Love, 2009)
5. Laboratories of the Invisible World, by Maudlin of the Well (Part the Second, 2009)
6. Ashes, by Pain of Salvation (The Second Death of P.O.S, 2009)
7. Prince of War, by Pictorial Wand (Face of Our Fathers, 2009)
8. A Rite of Passage, by Dream Theater (Black Clouds and Silver Linings, 2009)
9. Voyager, by Mangrove (Beyond Reality, 2009)
10. Repaint the Sky, by Satellite (Nostalgia, 2009)
11. Boatman's Vision, by Martigan (Vision, 2009)
12. News, by Forgotten Suns (Innergy, 2009)
13. She Moves Through the Fair, by Minimum Vital (Capitaines, 2009)
14. Lost, by Silent Memorial (Retrospective, 2009)
15. Going Home, by Eureka (Shackleton's Voyage, 2009)
16. In My Country, by Hamadryad (Intrusion, forthcoming)
And, as always: "If you loved the music, go buy the CDs, it encourages the musicians to make more!"