Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Camel Undergoes Line-Up Change


Camel and keyboardist Guy LeBlanc have both announced on their respective websites that, due to ill health, Guy will not perform on the March 2014 tour. We already miss our friend's influence and his place within Camel will be waiting for his return.

Ton Scherpenzeel has agreed to step in as keyboardist on the tour to help Camel  keep the show on the road.  Ton,  fans will remember, is the keyboardist and leader of prog band Kayak and also toured with Camel during the European segment of their 2003 Farewell tour.

Camel says they support Guy's leaving to seek treatment and await his return.

Guy LeBlanc, on his Facebook page, gave a bit more information concerning his illness. Here is the statement in full:

One of the greatest joys of my life was the opportunity to join Camel for the comeback/Retirement Sucks tour of 2013.  The whole thing was an amazing experience; performing this music for all the wonderful people who came to all the shows.  The positive emotions felt throughout transcended mere words, and the camaraderie and joviality within the band and crew still evokes smiles from my lips on a daily basis.
Since being diagnosed with an allegedly incurable renal cancer that has metastasized in my bones, I've been undergoing radiation treatment, to which it seems I've responded well.  I've also been taking a drug to try shrinking the tumours (best case scenario) in order to buy me more time in this mortal coil.
I had hoped to be in a stable course of treatment so I could join my buddies again for the March tour, which is now upon us, but developments in the last couple of weeks have made it necessary for me to bow out of this tour so that I may focus on my recovery and the recommendations of my doctors.
I'm so glad that Ton has agreed to do this, and also very relieved. It saddens me deeply that I will not see my friends, but the love and support I've received gives me strength and I look forward to seeing everyone again once this hurdle is passed.
Love, Guy L. 
 
We at the Internation Prog Rock Show, and fans around the world, wish Guy all the best and hope to see him on stage very soon.

Camel Tour 2014:
March 2: Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland
March 3: Muziekgebouw, Eindhoven, Holland
March 4: Vooruit, Gent, Belgium
March 6: Filharmonie, Filderstadt/Stuttgart, Germany
March 7: Theater Am Tanzbrunnen, Cologne, Germany
March 9: City Hall, Sheffield, UK
March 10: Town Hall, Birmingham, UK
March 11: Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK
March 13: Parr Hall, Warrington, UK
March 16: aula Magna, Lisbon, Portugal
March 17: Teatro Nuevo Apolo, Madrid, Spain
March 18: Barts Theater, Barcelona, Spain
March 20: Hiroshima, Turin, Italy
March 21: Teatro Comunale, Vicenza, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment